ALAMO MANUFACTURING CO.
Alamo Mfg. Co. from 1900-01 until about 1917.
Alamo Engine Co. from 1917 until about 1930-31.
Empire Cream Separator Co.:
This company from Bloomfield, New Jersey was not an engine builder, but they sold a vast array of agricultural products. They acted as an "approved
agent" to sell the Alamo engines of Hillsdale, Michigan. These engines were called "EMPIRE".
The Empire Cream Separator Co. also sold the Alamo engines in Canada under two different names, the first one being Empire Cream Separator Co. of Canada with branches in Montreal, Toronto & Winnipeg and the second being the EMPIRE built for the Cockshutt Plow Co., of Brantford, Ontario.
Rock Island Plow Co.:
This Rock Island, Illinois based company also acted as an "approved agent" to sell the Alamo built engines. They were by far the more prolific seller of Alamo engines and they probably sold more Alamos than all the other agents put together. It is important to note here that an engine with a Rock Island Plow Co., name tag does not automatically make this engine an Alamo as the Rock Island Plow Co. also sold other makers' engine at one time or another.
Lansing Company :
Also from Lansing, Michigan, this other "approved agent" sold a fair number of Alamo built engines. They also sold engines from other builder than Alamo.
Lindsay Bros. Co.,
The "Lindsay Bros. Company" of Minneapolis is another one of Alamo's approved
agents and they sold many Alamo engines. A 1926 Lindsay Bros Co. catalog
shows the whole line of engines they were selling at the time. The engines
were refered to as "Lindsay-Alamo" engines in that catalog.
Duplex Manufacturing Co.:
Situated in Superior, Wisconsin, the Duplex-Superior was a major hardware supplier. They offered a wide range of hardware, windmills, pumps, and many other items. This company is often referred to as an engine builder, apparently because they affixed their nameplate to several different engines. However Duplex-Superior never was an engine manufacturer, but instead they were jobbers, having contracted from year to year for engines on a bid basis.
Moline Plow Company:
Based in Moline, Illinois, they too acted as an engine seller for the Alamo Engine Co. They went one step further and named the Alamo built engines they were selling "The Flying Dutchman".
Other Nicknames and Agent's name found on Alamo built engines:
Here are more names found on nameplates that could be hidding an Alamo engine.
Blue Line, Dairy King, Duplex Mfg. Company, Duplex-Superior, B.F. Avery & Sons, Hoosier, Lunt Moss Co., Magnolia, Monarch Gas Engine Co., Moody, R.M. Wade & Company, ROYAL and VICTOR. There are no doubt many more.
A Word about "Approved Agents"
The Alamo Manufacturing Company, later renamed the Alamo Engine Company was situated in Hillsdale, Michigan. By the time the company shut its doors in the early thirties, their foundry had produced almost 116,000 engines, making them one of the 10-12 most prolific engine builders in North America but none the less collectors often think of the Alamo as a rare engine. The reason for this is that even though Alamo sold some of the engines they made directly to the customer, they were more interested in building the engines and leaving the task of selling their engines to others. To achieve this goal, Alamo recruted some "AGENTS" and they found several over the years. These approved agents were allowed to put their own name on the engine's tag, so for this reason, there are many Alamo engines hidden behind the seller's name tag.
Name Tags and Serial Numbers
All Alamo engines left the Alamo Engine Company foundry with a serial number stamped on the front of the water hopper for the smaller size engines, or stamped on the cylinder head for the larger size engines. These serial numbers were awarded consecutively from #1 on the first engine to #116,000-/+ on the last Alamo engine built, and this independently of the engine's horsepower rating or of the destined "approved agent". It was the Agent's responsability to put the brass name plate on the engine. This name tag would show the Agent's company name, the engine's rated horsepower and RPM and also the serial # that would simply duplicate the serial # already present on the engine. One slight variation about the serial # on the nameplate is found on Alamo built engines sold by the Rock Island Plow Co. As this Agent was also selling other companies' engines, and in order to prevent possible confusion, they simply added the letter "A" for Alamo, infront of the serial number on the name tag.
A- Pre "Alamo Blue Line"
- 1 to 120hp engines
- from 1900 to 1913
- from serial #1 to serial #13,769
- many engines of this period were vertical engines.
- Alamo Manufacturing Company.
B- Alamo Blue Line with Wizard Magneto
- 1 to 16hp engines
- from 1913 to 1923
- from serial #13,770 to serial #95,219
-Alamo Manufacturing Company
C- Alamo Blue Line with Webster Tri-Polar-Oscillator
- 1 to 16hp engines
- from 1921 to 1929+
- from serial #75,000 to end of production
- Alamo Engine Company
D- Alamo Blue Line with Wico EK Magneto
- 1 to 16hp engines
- from end of 1923 to 1930
- from serial #99,909 to #116,000
- Alamo Engine Company.
The "G" Prefix Letter on certain Alamo Engines
A few Alamo built engines with serial numbers between 104,343 and 108,000 came out of the Alamo foundry with the letter "G" stamped on the engine, immediately ahead of the serial number. These "G" engines must have been quite different from the regular ones as an Alamo Parts Catalog stresses the importance of mentioning the "G" in ordering parts for this particular model. It appears that the difference would be mostly found in the area of the gouvernor and the ignition system. I'm aware of one of these "G" Alamo engines, of about 1-1/2 horsepower. Unfortunately the name tag is missing on it.
The "C" Prefix Letter Forming Part of the Serial Number
The majority of engines leaving the Alamo Engine Company after engine #110,000 had the letter "C" forming part of an Alamo's serial number and stamped on the engine. A possibility is that a "C" prefix would indicate that a particular Alamo left the foundry equipped with the Wico "EK" magneto, but this remains to be proven.